Home Photography Writing About

14.6.12

Hym and Hur by Phillip Frey - Short Story Review

This short story, Hym and Hur by Phillip Frey, is so fun. Hym and Hur are two, well, I suppose you could call them sprites. They don't age and they like to wreak havoc. In this short story they make a deal with Death and watch as things unfold.

Hym and Hur by Phillip Frey short story book cover

The characters are so bubbly and wonderful. Even Death, with his depressing outlook on life and his cynicism, I liked. There were a few moments that could have been silly or out of place, but Phillip's writing turned those moments around so they made sense and fit in perfectly. Hym and Hur could have used with a few more flaws for me to absolutely love them, but they seemed more like catalysts than protagonists - very much like Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Phillip manages to build up a world, introduce a great turn of events, and wrap things up all in a short story very well. I didn't want to put it down and I certainly wanted to keep reading after the story was over.

I received this book from the author for review.